Health and Safety Executive warns of the dangers of not using registered gas ins
Date: Thursday, September 04, 2008 @ 10:12:04 BST
Topic: Health and Safety Executive (HSE) News


The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has warned of the dangers of not using registered gas fitters. The warning follows the prosecution of a Blackpool man who fitted a gas fire while not being registered, leaving it in a dangerous condition.

Richard Cartlidge of Limerick Road, Bispham, Blackpool was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay £987 costs at Blackpool Magistrates Court on Tuesday 30 July. He pleaded guilty to a charge under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 of carrying out work as a gas fitter while not a member of an approved organisation.

The court heard that in March 2003 Richard Cartlidge fitted a gas fire at a flat in Victoria Road East, Thornton. The owner had concerns about the way the fire had been fitted,  called in a second gas installer to check the work and found it had been fitted incorrectly and left in a dangerous condition.

HSE Inspector Sheldon Taylor said:

“This prosecution should serve as lesson to anyone having gas work carried out to ensure that the work is carried out by a registered gas fitter.  All gas installation businesses, including self employed gas installers, are required by law to be registered.

“Using a gas installer who is not registered is not only illegal, but can be dangerous, as there is no guarantee of their competence. Registered installers have been trained in gas safety and the standards needed for appliances and installations.

“According to HSE statistics, 20 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by gas appliances and flues which have not been properly installed or maintained.”



  1. Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, as amended, states:

    “No employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.”
  2. Workers undertaking gas installation and maintenance work must be registered. HSE has announced that CAPITA is its preferred bidder to provide a new gas installer registration scheme in Great Britain from April 2009. This scheme will replace the one currently operated by CORGI. For further information about the new gas registration scheme see: http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/safetyreview.htm
  3. For more information on gas health and safety go to: http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/index.htm






This article comes from Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association (SOHSA)
http://www.sohsa.org.uk

The URL for this story is:
http://www.sohsa.org.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=92