Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association :: View topic - Plasters - Is it a Myth or Not!

Author
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top
I have done an audit this morning and found that our staff have no plasters in their first aid box as they have been told (not by me I hasten to add) that they are no longer allowed.

On discussing this a member of the public stated he had also been on a health and safety course recently and had been told the same.

Have I missed something? I appreciate that some people may be allergic to plasters but cannot find anything to say they are no longer allowed.

Tracey Smile  
C.Jerman
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote Back to top
What? How on earth could you enforce that? It would be at complete odds with giving First Aid wouldn't it. So you can give First Aid as long as you don't use any kit. The HSE wouldn't have the power, never mind the will to enact this. I'd be pretty cross if I were a manufacturer of plasters too.

Makes you wonder who makes this stuff up.

Chris

T.Stubbs
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top
I completely agree and it does get a bit concerning when people are been mis-informed on training courses. Just another health and safety gone mad myth we have to deal with.

I must say they have plasters now! Smile  
B.Tranmer
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote Back to top
Bonkers! We had an issue with no plasters in first aid boxes but that is because they were being taken for use but with no supporting accident report. We tackled this by issuing each first aider with a box/kit and therefore employees would have to ask for a plaster. At this stage the question could be asked if the wound was work related or not. I have had a couple of occurrences where employees have suffered an alergic reaction to the adhesive on plasters but I don't think that this would be significant enough to constitute a complete ban. In fact BS8599-1 still lists plasters in the standard first aid kit contents list (although they are referred to as sterile adhesive dressings!) I think this is definitely a myth. Ben

View next topic
View previous topic