Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association :: View topic - Safety groups UK. Just what Do they do?

Author
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top
Well, I think that I am now in a better position to answer that. I attended my first management committee last week and l listened to the general chat etc etc. The Health Risks At Work DVD still seemed to occupy a significant amount of time despite being quite old now. There is a programme of systematic support for it though which all sems good.

I made the point that the success of an association, in my view, was directly linked to key members of the committee not least the grit and determination of the Secretary. SOHSA has been and still is very successful and viewed by many of the other associations as something to aspire to. Clearly we have a strong committee and an awesome Secretary. We make things happen. OK we stumble a little at times to get over the finish line, but we have some drive.

There are retired people in these positions in some associations who have more time, but honeslty are they the right people? Then we have some modern facing younger people who have no time and demanding employers so it's a bit of a Catch 22.

I suggested that what groups needed was support not to the 'group' but it individuals in those groups. They run the thing, so support them. Why not run a workshop with resources that can be copied and used for example a constitution. Just how many hours are spent on these? Do we really need one? Why do you need one? So I shared the strategy document with them and they liked it a lot. They want to try and extract some examples from it which could be fed back to key members to make running their associations easier so that they can spend time doing the nicer things. Ithink thet the message that it was individuals more than whole groups that needed support really struck a chord and was something that SGUK could really show that they had 'done' for people.

View next topic
View previous topic