Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association :: View topic - RIDDOR reporting

Author
Getting Started
Getting Started

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote Back to top
I have a question that I am not sure of the answer, we employed someone 18 months ago to work in a mandatory hearing zone and as such was subject to health surveillance, during his audiometry test at he mentioned that he had worked with vibrating tools in his previous employment, the nurse noted this down on the audiometry report and recommended that he be subject to a HAVS paper screen.

We took their advice and conducted a paper screen to which these results showed he had signs of HAVS and they recommended that he be subject to a nurse interview, we made the decision at the time that we didnít want to go to the expense of a nurse interview as he was not going to be exposed to any vibration work in his current role, however if he was to move into a role where his was subject to vibration we would firstly send him for a HAVS nurse interview.

The issue I am in now is that our health surveillance supplier is calling for a recall of this guy and I explained that he is not subject to any vibrating tools in his current position so he would not require this health screening.

Now they have come back and said his condition is reportable under RIDDOR.

I was under the impression (correct me if I am wrong) that employers must report diagnoses of certain occupational diseases, where these are likely to have been caused or made worse by their work, this was not caused by his work at our company neither is it made worse.

View next topic
View previous topic