Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association :: View topic - Life jackets whilst NOT at work

Author
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top
We run a series of 'hotels' within our business for employees to have the opportunity to stay somewhere nice, but very cheaply. It's part of their benefits package. One of these is on the banks of the Thames where we have rowing boats for guests to use, free of charge. Now, clearly we have a duty to maintain the boats - they're work equipment. But how far should be go in enforcing the use of life jackets and buoyancy aids? No-one is at work here and actually guests using a boat isn't covered by 'our undertakings' so other than the above mentioned maintenance what else should we do?

We have set rules that say no under 16's can take a boat out on their own; that we can enforce through controlling access to the oars. However, other than making aids available and advising boaters to use them, I don't think that we can enforce them. Once they're round the bend in the river, we have no way of supervising the users anyway. I know that there is no way to make private boaters wear jackets on the river, but just how far does our duty of care extend to our users? I stress again that they're on holiday here - not at work. All thoughts appreciated. In essence just looking to see if I've overlooked anything - not looking for advice on how to get people to see sense.

C

T.Hedland
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote Back to top
Chris,

I don't think that you can take it any further. HSE are stating that it is not the intemtion to remove all risks, just to identify and raise awareness and be sensible. I presume that appropriate notices/signs are displayed.
Any chance of a discounted long weekend?

I find that my biggest issue is that of the solicitors and courts letting some of the dubious cases even have time there let alone be successful.

C.Jerman
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote Back to top
Thanks Tim. I've had a response on the IOSH site, drawing a distinction between buoyancy aids and life jackets, I'll need to follow that up.

No chance of a stay even at full rates I'm afraid. Got to be a Partner and even then there's a qualifying period and a waiting list!

Nice though. Especially Brownsea Island

View next topic
View previous topic