Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association :: View topic - What are the Benefits of Membership

Author

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote Back to top
Can the committee tell me exactly what I get as a benefit from membership of the association?

In these times of economic difficulty I have to explain to my boss why we should continue to pay the subscription.

PS I work in a company of about 45 employees  
C.Jerman
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top
Thanks for your enquiry on this - I can appreciate that during these difficult times the first reaction of most businesses is to cancel 'the milk and papers' in an effort to streamline. However, I think that history shows us that trimming too far is sometime highly detrimental to a business and often something is lost that can never be regained.

I think that there are basically two types of member company within SOHSA. These are those who have a real need to take the support being offered and those who have a greater capacity to put something in for the good of others. Whilst it would be fantastic if everyone did both, we have to be realistic and remember that the association was set up for the benefit of its members.

We are fortunate to be in the position that several large companies are members and we have excellent access to their skills and knowledge. Plus we are able to get really good speakers to our regular meetings and to be able to run an annual conference that outshines many commercially run days - and at a fraction of the cost, of course.

So in answers to your Boss's question, you need to tailor your answer to whether you are a giver or a receiver.

If your need really is to receive then the benefits are:

Networking with people in a similar position
Excellent speakers throughout the year
Face to face link with representatives from the HSE (thanks to Diane)
No nonsense advice on topics of the day
A link to Safety Groups UK and their activities
An annual themed seminar tackling the issues that affect us all
A website that is continually updated with useful information and links

If you are in a position to be able to give more, then:

You can demonstrate a true commitment to the safety community
You have an opportunity to road test your documentation and thinking
You can network with other senior safety professionals
You can demonstrate an openness and transparency of your position
You have a web forum available to share thoughts and questions

All for 30 per annum. Incredible. So I would urge you even if you cancel the milk and papers, please don't cancel your subscription to SOHSA. And remember that from next year there will be a new grade of Associate Membership which makes joining even better value.

Please come and introduce yourself at the next meeting and we can talk more about the benefits of membership of SOHSA, the country's (probably the World's) longest running safety group.

Chris Jerman
Honourary Chairman

View next topic
View previous topic