Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association :: View topic - Health & Safety Culture

Author
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top
This is a simply huge topic. In essence there is a simple foundation from which your thinking needs to spring. What you're trying to achieve is a change in behaviour. Actually trying to do this by saying 'Hey we'd like you to change your behaviour' will not work. (This you know I'm sure)

It is our attitudes or thoughts if you will, that drive our outward behaviours or actions. So can we affect attitudes? Well actually, it's our beliefs or values that drive our attitudes. So really we need to see what it is that people believe. Here's an example:

Someone drops £5 in the canteen - an employees sees this, picks it up and returns it. Later that day, the same employee is caught stealing from the stores? Why the double standards? We may already have said that stealing or dishonesty is wrong and will not be tolerated.

The difference is that the core-value of the employee is that 'I would never steal from my mates - but stealing from the company is a victimless crime and they owe me anyway'

So, in essence, what you have to do is engage with employees - find out what they think, reinforce the good stuff and play on it and start to work on the negative stuff to realign it with your wishes. Stealing from the company is stealing from yourself AND your mates and costs us £ xxx. That's equiv to £xx pay rise for everyone

We have published a set of core-values (they must be values and not principles - you can live the values, you live by a principle) They are:

Nothing we do is worth being harmed for
Unsafe behaviour will be challenged
Everyone has the right to challenge and expect a response

Now these are a lecture in themselves - for another day.

It's safe to say that if you just do quizzes and run a poster campaign, you'll never make any inroads - change comes from within.

This is a starter for ten. happy to talk more is any of that made sense to anyone at all - I do sit in a little glade in the enchanted forest, but it seems to work for me.

C  
D.Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote Back to top
Hi Mate

You might make good progress from involving the employees in Health and safety. As Chris has pointed out this is a big subject, however we have developed an Employee Involvement tool kit available on disc which you are more that welcome to have a copy. If you would like to send me a private message with your address details on, I will send you one in the post.

Cheers

Declan

C.Jerman
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top
Actually, If I could give one more piece of advice it would be to not mention HEALTH AND BLOOMIN' SAFETY.

If you are interested in changing culture - you should do just that, change culture. If you pick off bits like H&S, you end up with fragments all over the place.

Go for the big one. Involve employees in the running of the whole company.

C

J.Muir
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top
I work in an industry where trying to promote a positive health and safety culture is difficult and being a woman just compounds the problem. However after a great deal of time and effort, I have people queueing to get onto the health and safety committee! There are lots of ways to promote health and safety, and as Chris says posters etc will help.
I use lots of graphics, keep things simple and don't call things by names like safe systems of work, I call it guidance, that way they see that you are helping them and not hindering them. Getting them involved with PPE, new materials and products trials will help, getting their buy in has worked wonders in my organisation. If you would like to take a look at what I have developed let me know

T.Hedland
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top
G.Jones wrote:
Hi There,

At my place of work there seems to be a really negative H&S Culture. Do any of you guys have any tips on how I could possibly change peoples way of thinking? I have tried giving incentives for PPE Usage etc.. but nobody seems to latch on to my ideas.

Hi,

There are lots of helpful answers posted for you. The HSE reckons that it can take up to 6 years to change the culture of a company. One thing no one has mentioned is that it must have the support from the top - it's no good saying you want people to wear hearing protection and then the director walks araound the place without it. You must get the buy in from the top or you really will be pushing fog up hill!

Good luck,

Tim.

View next topic
View previous topic