Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association :: View topic - Call for evidence

Author
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote Back to top
Got a call yesterday from the DWP. it seems that Professor Lofstedt wishes to meet with me and discuss the Government's proposed review of legislation.

Maybe we should be asking him to be our keynote speaker!!

Anyway, you can rest assured that I shall be battering him mercilessly with opinion on the misinterpretation and application of the current suite of regulations.

OK some regs are a bit old and shabby, but in terms of a wholesale dump of regs, I don't see it. DSE is a but rubbish, MH has it flaws, WAH gets misinterpreted quite a bit, RIDDOR is a source of confusion for many but in general armed with the 74 Act and Mgt regs, is anyone (who is competent) truly confused?

Answers on a postcard to ....

Chris

M.Wait
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top
Chris

Hot topic - he would be a great start to the day

Get him and I'll buy you a pint or two

M

M.Wait
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top
and I'll buy your book

Did I mention that Chris had written a book folks

Laughing

P.Marsh
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote Back to top
Chris - he's been doing the rounds in many industry groups recently, but it seems to be the same presentation with little opportunity for open discussion at this stage. That said, however, he has stressed that he is approaching the review without bias.

Members wishing to learn more, discuss the review, or return their own response to the review process should visit the thread below detailing the review itself, its' scope, terms of reference and the call for evidence paper itself:

Professor Löfstedt Review of Health and Safety

C.Jerman
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top
Yes, I agree Phil - but just to be clear, this is a one to one meeting. Not an industry group. I submitted my answers to the call for evidence. I needn't tell you what they looked like. It's me folks you wouldn't expect a standard reply surely!! They rang me in response to that and have asked me to go and explain myself. Like we did with Lord Young.

Chris

P.Marsh
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top
Please let us know how it goes - if you can stress the issue with interpretation and some (not all) consultants that causes this "gold-plating" concept introduced during this process, rather than the regulations themselves all the better!

C.Jerman
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top
That's my plan. Some regs are a bit rubbish in parts, but it's feeling that compliance is the name of the game that drives many people toward gold plating. In a compliance driven system there is always that little bit more that you can do instead of saying, that's it, we've got to where we want to be. Not just enforcement but insurance, claims and sometime even our our internal depts push for more!

Chris

C.Jerman
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top
Very good meeting with the Prof. Already been invited back to Stockholm for drinks!

Seemed a good chap, very receptive and definitely on board with the idea that in general terms it's not legislation nor ACoPs that are the problem. Neither is it about rogue consultants. The law is flexible and it has the tools within it to make flexible judgements for YOUR organisation. What doesn't help is the fixed way in which it gets interpreted. Questions like 'What's the maximum working temp' or 'What's the maximum weight' or 'Does anyone have a risk assessment I can have for ...' show a lack of understanding and frankly a lack of ability.

Managers lack confidence too at times, quite possibly because they see safety as something special and beyond their understanding. They are told that it's all about compliance, which of course is a never ending dream. So you are never finished.

Insurance loss adjusters, EHOs and legal teams tend to ask 'where is...' rather than 'can you explain...' This immediately unsettles managers who feel that saying 'sorry, but there isn't a risk assessment for that' is always going to be the wrong answer.

Anyway, it was a packed hour and the contact at the DWP suggested that they may want to talk further.

So it's all good.

Chris

View next topic
View previous topic