Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association :: View topic - E Cigarettes

Author
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote Back to top
Hi

With all the media hype about E cigarettes I was just wondering what most companies are adopting as policy. Is it something that companies are adopting in their smoking policy or are companies concerned with some of the cigarettes that require charging and the potential for fires etc.

Has anyone seen any papers from HSE,IOSH,RoSPA,IIRSM etc with any guidance.

Regards

mark

T.Stubbs
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote Back to top
This is something that has been discussed quite a bit on the IOSH forum. General consensus is that it is not a health and safety issue but a 'company' decision, and this could vary depending on your workplace - our company have taken the decision that they are not permitted indoors and have to be smoked at the designated smoking area. If you are customer facing would you really want your staff to be puffing on an e-cig whilst serving customers? or would you like to be served by someone using one of these devices? It is about professionalism and image. On the other hand if you are in a high risk environment would you want an employee concentrating on their e-cig rather than on the job in hand? Some companies won't allow them for hygiene/clinical reasons. If you are office based with no customer contact and no visitors then a company may say it is acceptable but I have not come across any, to date, that allow this.

I have just looked at the ASH website (following recommendation) which has a lot of information on this, and in particular a bit about permitting or prohibitting them in companies the website link is: http://www.ash.org.uk/current-policy-issues/harm-reduction-product-regulation/regulating-nicotine-products.

I think until there is more research done on them and the vapours discharged it will be open to debate and interpretation.

Tracey  
M.Wait
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top
Thanks Tracey

The main concern I have is with the whole concept of the E Cigarette. we have adopted a similar approach with regards to smoking and included this in our induction programme, but there have been a number of media reports about these things exploding. There are a number of legitimate companies that have popped up around the area selling these, however I have also seen a number of street vendors that could be selling cheaper versions of them.

I think it's one to watch for the future. Thanks for the reply and I'll have a look on the ASH website

Regards

Mark

C.Jerman
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top
We don't treat them any differently at present, but one thing that I have noticed personally is that people are getting 'bolder' with where and when they use them.

B.Tranmer
Executive Committee
Executive Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top
As a company we have incorporated all these devices into our smoking at work policy and have in essence classified them the same as cigarettes. I acknowledge that under current legislation it is not illegal to use them in an indoor environment but we felt it a logical move and easier to manage and to my knowledge we have had no opposition.
The concerns I have with these devices centre around electrical safety and COSHH. I personally was shown a bottle of a substance used in a "vaporiser" that was labeled as toxic!!
Ben

View next topic
View previous topic