Health and Safety Executive warns of the dangers of not using registered gas ins

Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association (SOHSA) on 2008-09-04 10:12:04

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has warned of the dangers of not using registered gas fitters. The warning follows the prosecution of a Blackpool man who fitted a gas fire while not being registered, leaving it in a dangerous condition. Richard Cartlidge of Limerick Road, Bispham, Blackpool was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay £987 costs at Blackpool Magistrates Court on Tuesday 30 July. He pleaded guilty to a charge under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 of carrying out work as a gas fitter while not a member of an approved organisation. The court heard that in March 2003 Richard Cartlidge fitted a gas fire at a flat in Victoria Road East, Thornton. The owner had concerns about the way the fire had been fitted,  called in a second gas installer to check the work and found it had been fitted incorrectly and left in a dangerous condition. HSE Inspector Sheldon Taylor said: “This prosecution should serve as lesson to anyone having gas work carried out to ensure that the work is carried out by a registered gas fitter.  All gas installation businesses, including self employed gas installers, are required by law to be registered. “Using a gas installer who is not registered is not only illegal, but can be dangerous, as there is no guarantee of their competence. Registered installers have been trained in gas safety and the standards needed for appliances and installations. “According to HSE statistics, 20 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by gas appliances and flues which have not been properly installed or maintained.”

Read more Health and Safety Headlines...