Landlord Prosecuted for carrying out own Gas-Work

Sheffield Occupational Health and Safety Association (SOHSA) on 2008-02-05 09:52:43

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is warning landlords to use only competent CORGI registered gas fitters work on domestic gas appliances. The warning follows HSE’s prosecution of a Rhondda landlord after he carried out gas work at one of his properties. Martin Griffiths, of Herbert Street, Treorchy, was fined a total of £6,000 and ordered to pay £4,478 costs after pleading guilty to breaching Regulations 3(1) and 36(4) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 at Llwynypia Magistrates Court on 25th January 2008. Mr Griffiths fitted a boiler by himself at a flat he owned in Mitchell Court, Tonypandy. His tenant noticed there was a gas leak and reported it to Transco, who made it safe. HSE inspector Hugh Emment said: "Mr Griffiths was not accredited to carry out work on gas appliances and the consequences could have been extremely serious. “We will prosecute people who work on gas appliances without the proper accreditation. In this case, the risk was fire or explosion but improperly maintained appliances can also give rise to carbon monoxide (CO) which is potentially lethal. You cannot see, smell or taste CO fumes, leaving anyone exposed feeling unwell. In the worst situations, CO can kill without warning in just hours. "The law requires that only trained, competent people work on gas appliances, and the only accreditation currently recognised by HSE is membership of CORGI. If you are having gas work done, always check the fitter's CORGI identity card before you let them start work."

Read more Health and Safety Headlines...